The National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) is a mandatory one-year service for all Nigerian graduates of tertiary institutions. The programme is designed to promote national cohesion and integration.
One of the requirements for participating in the NYSC programme is the submission of a certificate of origin. The certificate must be issued by the institution where the prospective corps member studied.
However, it is not uncommon for there to be errors on the certificate, such as the wrong date of birth. If you find yourself in such a situation, don’t panic. This article will explain how to correct date of birth on NYSC certificate.
How To Correct Date Of Birth On NYSC Certificate:
The National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) utilizes information obtained from the West African Examination Council (WAEC) to make changes to the NYSC portal. As such, in order to correct your date of birth on the NYSC portal, the following steps should be taken:
- Obtain a West African Examination Council (WAEC) result check PIN from any First bank branch near you.
- Access the official NYSC portal by visiting portal.nysc.org.ng.
- Log in to your NYSC dashboard using your email and password.
- Navigate to the “Resume Registration” option and click on it.
- Click on the “Change Date of Birth” option.
- After selecting the “Change Date of Birth” option, a form will appear on the screen.
- Complete the form on the screen with the correct information, then submit your entries.
Please note that if the date of birth on your WAEC certificate is incorrect, it must be corrected first before carrying out the above procedures. It is also important to note that it is the responsibility of the individual to ensure that the correct information is used when updating their profile.
How to Change Date of Birth on WAEC
To change the date of birth on your West African Examinations Council (WAEC) certificate, you will need to follow these steps:
- Visit a WAEC state or zonal office in your area.
- Apply for a correction of your date of birth.
- You will be required to bring some documents with you, such as an attestation letter, a sworn affidavit, your original WAEC result, your original birth certificate, and a processing fee of N10,000.
- Please note that your WAEC certificate must be at least 4 years old at the time of your graduation.
- Also, the names on your WAEC certificate and your National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) dashboard must match.
- Once your request has been processed by the WAEC board, go to the NYSC portal and follow the instructions provided in the first guide.
It’s important to note that after completing your National Service, the Date of Birth on your Certificate of National Service (CNS) cannot be corrected. The NYSC board will not entertain any requests for the correction of Date of Birth after deployment.
How to change Date of Birth on JAMB
To change your date of birth on the Joint Admission and Matriculation Board (JAMB) portal, you will need to follow these steps:
- Go to the JAMB official website at jamb.org.ng
- Log into your JAMB Central Admissions Processing System (CAPS) account
- Navigate to the “Application for Correction of Data” section
- Under this section, click on the “Proceed” button
- From the options available, select “Change of Date of Birth (DOB)”
- A transaction ID will be generated for the service and displayed on the confirmation page. Review the details on the confirmation page and check for any errors. Make note of the transaction ID, as it will be needed for future reference and will also be sent to your registered email address.
- To pay immediately using your card, click on “Continue.” If you wish to use other payment options like ATM, banks, or Quickteller, you can do so using the transaction ID.
- Enter your card details on the Interswitch payment page and click on the “Pay” button. After payment, the status of your payment will be displayed in the “My Payment” section. You will also receive an SMS and email with your transaction ID and payment status.
- Click on “Continue” and provide the year of the examination and your JAMB registration number. The current date of birth on the JAMB portal will be displayed.
- Enter your new date of birth in the provided fields and click on “Submit”
- Download and print the indemnity form that appears on the screen. Fill out the indemnity form and take it to your institution for approval. Your institution will submit the approved form to the JAMB state office.
- Once the approved form has been received by JAMB, it will be uploaded to your JAMB profile. You will receive a notification when this is done. JAMB will process your application. If approved, your date of birth will be changed as requested.
Please note that the Joint Admission and Matriculation Board (JAMB) has stated that the correction of data on the JAMB portal can only be done twice. Therefore, candidates who wish to make changes to their course, institution, date of birth, or any other information should be aware that the correction process can only be done twice.
Also the change of date of birth will affect all your previous academic records and the new date of birth will be used in all your future academic records.
What Else Can I correct on NYSC Portal?
On the NYSC portal, you can easily correct certain entries that may have been entered incorrectly during registration. These include:
- Wrong course of study: If you entered the wrong course of study or degree program, you can update your information on the portal.
- Wrong date of birth: If you entered the wrong date of birth, you can correct it on the portal. This is important as it may affect your eligibility for the NYSC program.
- Wrong names: If you entered your names incorrectly, you can update them on the portal. This includes correcting any spelling mistakes or errors in your first, middle, and last names.
- Wrong photograph: If you uploaded the wrong photograph or a low-quality image, you can replace it with a clear and appropriate photograph on the portal.
- Wrong sex: If you accidentally selected the wrong sex, you can correct it on the portal.
- Wrong state: If you entered the wrong state of origin, you can correct it on the portal.
Please note that certain fields cannot be corrected on the portal. These include your National Identity Number (NIN), email address and phone number. If you need to correct these information, you will need to contact the NYSC office.
Thanks for sticking with this guide till the end. Now you know how to go about correcting the date of birth on your NYSC certificate. Be sure to share this guide with your friends and family so that they can take advantage of it too.